Message Board
Home Automated Living Forums > HAL Advanced Topic > HA Project Center » HAL, Amazon Echo/Dot, SMS, and TV Control

HA Project Center What have you done with HAL and/or HA? Explain it here for other to use and expand.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #21
TimShriver
Administrator

Default Re: HAL, Amazon Echo/Dot, SMS, and TV Control

Sure, Let me put together a PDF as a quick getting started guide. I should have something rough for you either tomorrow or Monday....

Tim
Old 10-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #22
DaveGA

I have both the ECHO and the DOT. My wife loves it for music etc...... I have no desire to make this my HA device for my house.....I would however, love to use the voice recognition as a house wide MIC to HAL for the family. The thought of dropping MICs and mixers, etc...... is not attractive, but a VOIP feed direct to HAL for control of systems and feedback from HAL would be awesome.

I know this is simplistic and tougher to implement then I am depicting. I'm patient and reading and seeing what direction this all will go.

Cheers,

dave
DaveGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #23
TimShriver
Administrator

Please find attached a first draft of how to get started with the HA-Bridge from BWS to use your Amazon Echo or Dot... Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Regards,

Tim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HAL BWS Setup Guide for Alexa.pdf (974.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
DaveGA

Thanks Tim. I'll give it a go this week before I take off again for work!

Cheers,

dave
DaveGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #25
BDD43
Advanced Member III

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGA View Post
I have both the ECHO and the DOT. My wife loves it for music etc...... I have no desire to make this my HA device for my house.....I would however, love to use the voice recognition as a house wide MIC to HAL for the family. The thought of dropping MICs and mixers, etc...... is not attractive, but a VOIP feed direct to HAL for control of systems and feedback from HAL would be awesome.

I know this is simplistic and tougher to implement then I am depicting. I'm patient and reading and seeing what direction this all will go.

Cheers,

dave
Yes, that is what I was hoping to do as well, but they do not have bluetooth microphones, only speakers. Not sure why amazon went that route, since we could be using it for phone conferences, HAL, et.,etc....maybe they will open it up one day.
BDD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #26
Krauzac

Tim,
I'm running HA-bridge 3.2.2 right on the same my Win 7 PC just like your helpful PDF document shows.
I'm having a little trouble with the DIM feature as I'm not sure what dropdown to use in the ha -bridge web GUI.
None of them seem to work right, and I'm monitoring the x-10 calls in HAL Monitor.
I see the repeated calls but no lights dim.
If I use my RF remote to dim I see a single "EDI" call to that lamp, and it dims.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Caz
Old 11-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #27
TimShriver
Administrator

Let me try and add an X10 lamp module to a system and configure in the bridge software. I'll get back to you
Old 11-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #28
TimShriver
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauzac View Post
I'm having a little trouble with the DIM feature as I'm not sure what dropdown to use in the ha -bridge web GUI.
None of them seem to work right, and I'm monitoring the x-10 calls in HAL Monitor.
I see the repeated calls but no lights dim.
It looks like the Bridge GUI is not generating the proper Dim command for our web service. I'm not sure how to get the percent as a variable into the Dim URL so I hard coded mine for 60%. See the attached screen capture. I also included the HALws documentation. We may need to add a web service call for dimming that just takes the current setting down by X as opposed to setting it to a value if we cannot get the value from the echo to populate into the dim url. I'll check with the team that built the Bridge software.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: png BridgeDim.png (25.6 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HALws Documentation.pdf (616.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #29
Krauzac

Tim -
Thank you so much!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #30
BDD43
Advanced Member III

Tim, I'm trying to wrap my head around the HA-Bridge, but not sure what it can do for me since the Alexa app can already see my insteon devices. I assume this is for X-10?

Also, I'm looking at writing code to open HAL more for myself: Alexa, start HAL....HAL responds, "How may I help you?" but through the Echo.
The conversation could then take place as if I were talking to HAL with HAL using the audio output of the Echo as a bluetooth speaker. SO, in essence, I would only have to translate what I say from my skill to HAL.
BDD43 is offline   Reply With Quote