Home Automated Living Forums

Home Automated Living Forums (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/index.php)
-   HA Project Center (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   HAL, Amazon Echo/Dot, SMS, and TV Control (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5629)

TimShriver 12-05-2016 02:16 PM

Re: HAL, Amazon Echo/Dot, SMS, and TV Control

I'm not sure i understand what you mean by "I assume this is for X-10?" the interface will control any light in HAL... or macro, group, scene...
I haven't tried pairing the Echo with HAL using Bluetooth. Our new servers have built in Bluetooth. I am curious if the microphone array will be accessible via the Bluetooth or if they only exposed the speakers for streaming music.

Tim

TimShriver 12-05-2016 02:26 PM

BDD43 12-05-2016 08:52 PM

Tim,
I guess what I'm confused about. Can I say, "Alexa run ...,macro..." ? or "Alexa run Movie Time" ? and it work with HAL to run those setup in HAL? If so, then GREAT. If it only turns on/off/dims then Alexa already does that with Insteon devices.

Yes, the main complaint I have with the Echo is they do not allow it to be a bluetooth microphone...only a bluetooth speaker. I have an Echo and two Dots throughout the house and created several skills.
One being: "Alexa start goodnight"....it runs my skill which actually then runs a HAL Macro. (Turns off all the lights but one, turns down the TV volume, then turns it off, turns on the security system in 5 minutes, turns on the light in the bedroom)...

Another reason for using the bluetooth speaker is to have HAL speak notifications (another thing the Echo does not do) through the Echo or Dots.

I also have a program called just remote phone that connects to my cell phone. I wrote an add-on for it. So, when I get a text message, it reads it over my speaker: "You have a new message from Zachary. Do you still need my help in the yard?" I have another skill called reply: "Alexa tell reply, Yes I still need your help." It then sends a text message back to him. No need to find my phone.

I have a lot of ideas, just trying to piece them all together to integrate everything.

TimShriver 12-05-2016 09:26 PM

Yes, I have Macros, Groups, Scenes... all in the Bridge working with HAL

BDD43 12-06-2016 06:37 AM

How to you initiate them with Alexa?

TimShriver 12-13-2016 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a revised HAL BWS Setup Guide for Alexa... This addresses using the Dim Control Type.

Tim

BDD43 12-14-2016 10:27 AM

Tim,

How do you run the macros and scenes using the Echo/Alexa ?

Mike 12-14-2016 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an updated copy of the HAL/Alexa (amazon Echo) documentation.

-Mike

BDD43 12-19-2016 01:36 PM

How do you use it with Alexa?? "Alexa start {macro name}"....??

TimShriver 12-19-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDD43 (Post 31701)
How do you use it with Alexa?? "Alexa start {macro name}"....??

No, you would say "Turn {Macro Name} on"