Home Automated Living Forums

Home Automated Living Forums (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/index.php)
-   HVAC (Thermostats) (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nest (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5614)

jamarotta 01-30-2016 09:56 AM

Nest

Recently purchased last Nest Thermostat (3rd generation). I was able to go into HAL Ultra settings, choose Nest as thermostat, press Authorize, get the stat's PIN code, enter back into HAL Ultra, and got a Link Successful response. However Thermostat does not show up in the Automation Screen as a new device. When I 'Add a new device' NEST is not a manufacturer choice and so there's no way to add it the Automation Screen so HAL can utilize. Appreciate thoughts here.

dtomcat 01-30-2016 05:17 PM

Re: Nest

Jam,
I recently bought one as well and have contacted HAL. I know they are currently rewriting some of the nest code as we speak. I know they made progress, but still have some smaller things to iron out. I'll let you know when they release an update.

-Rob

jamarotta 01-31-2016 08:02 AM

Rob- thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it and the updates.

Best regards,
Joe

TimShriver 01-31-2016 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Joe,

Which version of HALultra are you using? There is a new build coming this week with an update to how we retrieve data from the Nest cloud server which will be more efficient. There is also a fix for our Celsius customers...

You should see a screens like the following in Device Wizard:

jamarotta 01-31-2016 12:53 PM

Hi Tim

I'm using the latest public HALUltra build 6.0.39. Nest does not appear as an available manufacturer in the device wizard. Goes from 'Honeywell' to 'OnQ Technologies' on my list (no NEST alphabetically in between). The only place I found NEST was in the 'Settings/HVAC' screen (which allowed me to authorize/link (Home Automatic Living shows up in the 'works with' screen of the NEST app once linked) but cannot actually add the thermostat as a device because of the above. If there's a later beta, I'd be happy to install and play with.

Best regards, Joe

TimShriver 01-31-2016 01:38 PM

Hi Joe,

You can always go here to see what the latest version of HAL is... In the new build coming this week, 6.1.3 the system will notify you of updates available.

I will email you the link for the latest HALultra build

Regards,

Tim

jamarotta 01-31-2016 02:18 PM

Thanks Tim. The logic to prompt to download updates/ latest version will be a great addition to HAL.. .Joe

TimShriver 02-05-2016 02:36 PM

Hi Joe, I am emailing you the 6.1.3 HALultra beta to test with your Nest Stat. Tim

jamarotta 02-05-2016 02:48 PM

Confirming receipt. Will test the new beta out this weekend.. Thank you..Joe

DOHman 08-04-2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimShriver (Post 31508)

You can always go here to see what the latest version of HAL is... In the new build coming this week, 6.1.3 the system will notify you of updates available.

Regards,

Tim

Tim, will we be able to download/update within HAL now, or do we still need to request a download link?

TimShriver 08-04-2016 09:11 PM

Beginning in version 6.1.12 you are able to check if your HAL version is up-to-date and also get the current download link if your software maintenance support is current. Using License Manager you can click the “?” in the upper right corner to open the Status Screen. Here you will find details about your license and the current publicly available version of HAL that you have access to download. After version 6.1.24 you are able to find the same information in the HAL About screen.

Tim

djewell 12-30-2016 11:25 AM

Is anyone else having issues with Hal not getting the proper temperatures with the nest thermostat?

TimShriver 12-30-2016 12:29 PM

I just remotely connected into a couple of systems that use our HMS managed version of HAL and I know have Nest Stats... All of them are working fine. Did this start today?

djewell 12-31-2016 09:25 AM

no this has been going on for a little while now, Hal is communicating because I can tell it to adjust the temperature and I can watch it dial it back. When I query the thermostat it seems to be stuck on its readings.

I told Hal to set temperature to 61 degrees. then I go look at the temperature settings and it is still at 63.

TimShriver 12-31-2016 09:28 AM

What are you using to look at the temps? HomeNet Web UI?

dtomcat 12-31-2016 10:23 AM

I noticed mine the same way the other day and forgot to check again. but sure enough my thermostat (on HAL iPhone app and HomeNet UI) reads 62 always... my home is 71 most of the time. looking right now... both read 62 and the Nest reads 71. Not sure if it's a software thing or not... only noticed it after recent update (not sure if it was present prior to). HALpro 6.1.37... just seen and update available. downloading update now and will post if it still reads 62.

dtomcat 12-31-2016 10:55 AM

Well I guess we'll never know... .39 doesn't allow me install it. it gets to backup portion of install then tells me it can't open oleaut32.dll and closes. no way to bypass it. I even rebooted the machine and closed all non system programs and services and still same results. guess i'm stuck on .37

TimShriver 12-31-2016 11:05 AM

try running the install with the Custom option and select HAL program files. It sounds like you have a conflicting control installed on your system.

Also there haven't been any changes to the Nest related code since the 6.1.21 build back in June. You can always check yourself by looking at the errata.

If you send me an email with your nest information, I can try it here and see what results I get looking at your nest stats...

Tim

dtomcat 12-31-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimShriver (Post 31728)
try running the install with the Custom option and select HAL program files. It sounds like you have a conflicting control installed on your system.

Also there haven't been any changes to the Nest related code since the 6.1.21 build back in June. You can always check yourself by looking at the errata.

If you send me an email with your nest information, I can try it here and see what results I get looking at your nest stats...

Tim

Tim,
Now that you say something... I may have changed my password! I'll feel dumb if that's the case... I'll follow up and let you know

as for the other issue I tried what you said and same results. :(

-Rob

dtomcat 12-31-2016 02:26 PM

Tim,
Finally got the install to work (had to do compatibility mode to windows xp sp3). Install went fine... after the install before doing anything with nest... nest temp was correct. I'll continue to monitor the temp to see if it is indeed updating again.

If it does, unfortunately I cannot rule out rebooting as the fix, or if the HAL update fixed it. (bad Troubleshooting... sorry). But for now all seems good.

-Rob

dtomcat 12-31-2016 04:17 PM

Update 2:
Nest still seems to be update on HAL... downfall I found is that HA-Bridge does not work nice with HAL anymore. worked perfect (zero flaws) on 6.1.37... on 6.1.39 I'm lucky if it works once with each reboot. when "testing" it inside the HA-Bridge... it works great. Alexa can find the devices find... but when I tell her to turn on/off something... she thinks about it for a bit... then says "OK"... but nothing ever happens. Shouldn't have messed with something running perfectly!!!! oh well... Can I get a link to .37 so I can hopefully go back to what I had? Thanks

-Rob

dtomcat 01-01-2017 08:21 PM

Update 3

Moved HA-Bridge to my Raspberry Pi. It will be its only Job! Works perfect again. Nest still updating correctly!

TimShriver 01-01-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtomcat (Post 31732)
Update 2:
Nest still seems to be update on HAL... downfall I found is that HA-Bridge does not work nice with HAL anymore. worked perfect (zero flaws) on 6.1.37... on 6.1.39 I'm lucky if it works once with each reboot. when "testing" it inside the HA-Bridge... it works great. Alexa can find the devices find... but when I tell her to turn on/off something... she thinks about it for a bit... then says "OK"... but nothing ever happens. Shouldn't have messed with something running perfectly!!!! oh well... Can I get a link to .37 so I can hopefully go back to what I had? Thanks
-Rob

Hi Rob,

Nothing changed in the HALws which is what the HA-Bridge uses. There are a number of users on 6.1.39 using the bridge with no issues... so I'm not sure what the problem might be. If you open the HA-Bridge UI, you can manually execute the commands with the test button. if they fire then the Bridge to HAL works and it is something from Alexa to the Bridge...

Tim

TimShriver 01-01-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtomcat (Post 31739)
Update 3

Moved HA-Bridge to my Raspberry Pi. It will be its only Job! Works perfect again. Nest still updating correctly!

I'd be curious if somehow your HA-Bridge issue is XP related... Strange that you had to also do the install with compatibility mode. Did you try a custom install?

Tim

dtomcat 01-02-2017 03:24 PM

Sorry to original poster (kind of side tracked this post)...

Tim,
I'm running windows 7 sp1. not sure what happened... but confirmed that firewall was off. HA-Bridge to HAL seemed fine. I could find devices and test them in HA-Bridge fine. But Alexa to Bridge... I could see all devices and it discovered them... but when telling Alexa to turn something on, it was followed by 15-20 pause and she'd say "OK"... but nothing ever happened... usually I may get on device turn on/off after reboot everything. before upgrading HAL... everything ran smooth.. only thing that changed was upgrading HAL... the weird thing as noted was... I had to use compatibility mode... I reran the install after upgrading to .39 (this time I took away comp mode) and it ran fine. So not sure when changed but HA-Bridge doesn't like HAL PC anymore. I had an old Raspberry Pi (original model B) that was collecting dust... So I loaded up a stripped down headless version of Linux (Raspbian Jessie lite) and loaded java and HA-Bridge. Runs awesome and all is friendly again in the automation world :)

-Rob

dtomcat 01-02-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimShriver (Post 31741)
I'd be curious if somehow your HA-Bridge issue is XP related... Strange that you had to also do the install with compatibility mode. Did you try a custom install?

Tim

I did try custom and only selected program update and it also gave the same "oleaut32.dll" error.

DadGoneMad 01-12-2017 02:36 PM

I had the same problem when I upgraded to v.39. I first thought it was some sort of permissions issue but could never resolve it. Instead what I did was log on with a (Win10) local account (instead of my admin account), then ran the installation (run with admin rights) and did not receive any oleaut32.dll error during installation. I do however seem to have some sort of issue that's surfaced where my HALUltra crashes repeatedly for about 10-12 times after starting. Then, after going through several WatchDog automatic restarts the crashing stops and it runs just fine. I have been trying to troubleshoot what the problem might be, the only error I see in WatchDog is "Alive Registry not set" or something along those lines. I will give tech support a call if I can ever work from home and able to be there for someone to help me determine root cause here. For Christmas I got an Amazon Echo and Dot, I configured the HA Bridge with very little issues at all. Seems to run great, am still learning how to create commands, but overall I like it a lot!

TimShriver 01-12-2017 02:47 PM

Please do contact support... I'm sure they'll be able to help resolve your problem.

If the Alive Registry option in WatchDog is enabled it basically is one of the many ways WD checks to make sure HAL Server is responsive. HAL Server writes a 1 to a particular Registry Entry, WD checks to make sure that the entry has be updated. If it has, WD then resets it to 0 and the process checks again after so many seconds. If the Alive Registry is not updated after 2 or 3 passes, WD will then begin the designated recovery option.

It sounds like you have something hanging HAL. To discover the culprit, you could disable a couple of things in System Settings, liek your Security, Lighting, Telephone... start HAL and if all is fine, start re-enabling items one by one to identify what is causing the problem.

Tim

dtomcat 01-12-2017 04:25 PM

I've had the WD alive thing the first time I booted into .39... have not had any cases since it rebooted itself. and it only happened after the first boot into .39 (after the troubleshooting noted above. Happened overnight that first night. and not since. nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

-Rob

TimShriver 01-12-2017 05:44 PM

Sure sounds like the install did not go correctly...