Home Automated Living Forums

Home Automated Living Forums (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Assistance (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Format drive, Upgrade OS and install new ver HAL (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5560)

canadauser 02-17-2015 05:43 PM

Format drive, Upgrade OS and install new ver HAL

HI Guys,, just got an email regarding the new version 6 release...I would like to upgrade from ver 5.0.35 to the latest ver 6.

But,,, I would also like to upgrade my PC from XP to Win 7, I would like to format my hard drive, so I will wipe it clean.

I would image this would be kinda like moving HAL to a new PC

Do you have a procedure outline that will help me accomplish this upgrade of HAL software

I do have a network drive attached so I can up load my current config then down load once re-installed.

canadauser 03-06-2015 08:25 AM

Re: Format drive, Upgrade OS and install new ver HAL

not sure why no one has commented, had lots of looks at the post ... Either my questions are too stupid or no one knows how to do this?

Either way, I know this information was on the old forum - any way to access that?..

dtomcat 03-06-2015 06:38 PM

I cannot answer your question as asked... but I can offer two pointers... like you mentioned, do a good backup... I would do the system backup inside the HAL menus... as well as copy the HAL folder and put them somewhere safe. Second pointer... If you have the HAL modem... Install the 32 bit version of windows 7 as there isn't a 64-bit driver.
Hope that Helps
-Rob

TimShriver 03-06-2015 07:00 PM

Were it not for Rob responding to your post I would have missed this thread. Sorry.

So the easiest solution would be to do the following:

- As Rob mentioned, perform a HAL backup which saves the HAL related data files and registry setting, but also save your HAL directory and the corresponding sub-directories to a network drive or usb pen drive.
- Run the HAL license Manager to De-activate your license on the XP drive.
- Perform you upgrade to Windows 7. You can use 64 bit if you want to use the Way2Call UsB modem which has both 32 & 64 bit drivers and is supported in HAL v6.
- Turn off UAC.
- Download HAL version 6.
- Right click on the HAL installer exe, select Properties and Unblock the file.
- Right Click again on the HAL installer exe and select "Run as Admin"
on your new win 7 system.
- Run the License Manager and enter your new v6 license Info and register.
- Run HAL
- Open System Setting and perform a restore.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry again for not responding sooner.

Regards,

Tim

dtomcat 03-09-2015 03:19 PM

Tim,
Are both USB models supported? Lite and Pro? does one have an advantage over the other... I'm kind of interested to see if Caller ID improves... right now i'm at a 60% rate with VP100. My all other devices (phones) receive caller ID 100%, but VP100 misses about 40% of them. Do you think with would improve with the USB version?

Thanks
-Rob

TimShriver 03-09-2015 03:33 PM

There are two big advantages of the Pro... it has a power supply so it doesn't draw its power from the USB. It thereby has the added feature of ringing the house phones which we intend to exploit for notifications in a future release. This power supply also helps if you have multiple handsets down line from the modem.

Regards,

Tim

canadauser 03-17-2015 08:28 AM

Thanks Guys ,,,I 'll purchase the ver. 6 upgrade and get everything together and put aside 3-4 hours and give it a shot....Thanks Dennis

canadauser 07-06-2015 08:20 PM

okay, I've done my windows 7 upgrade, downloaded Ver 6 and installed, did my licensing thing and all went well. Now I'm trying to do a restore of my config, but the restore function isn't working on the file I save using Ver 5.0.35. Is there another way to restore my configuration?

The backup function is working just fine.

TimShriver 07-06-2015 09:06 PM

Can you elaborate on what the problem is restoring your HAL data from a v5 backup? There isn't a file that is restored. You have to point to the backup directory and select a folder to restore all the various files from...

Thanks,

Tim

canadauser 07-06-2015 09:48 PM

I've store the backup on a NAS drive and can clearly see the file.

1 open System Settings
2. select Backup/Restore
3 Backup/Restore window opens with Backup highlighted
4 uh..... wait a minute.......Just went to select Restore like I did the last dozen times and it worked????? WTF

All backup configuration has been restored,,,but honestly,, it wasn't working....!

Thanks for your prompt reply anyways, it was very much appreciated...Dennis (Canada)