Home Automated Living Forums

Home Automated Living Forums (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/index.php)
-   HA Project Center (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   HAL, Amazon Echo/Dot, SMS, and TV Control (https://www.automatedliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5629)

BDD43 07-07-2016 09:44 PM

HAL, Amazon Echo/Dot, SMS, and TV Control

I've been testing some skills using the Amazon Dot/Echo along with HAL.
Since we can call Macros very easily now and do a Send IP, I have been able to integrate the Dot, HAL, and Denise (NextOS avatar) into some interesting areas.

Below is a link to just some of the skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkuUiaMDHPg

Let me know what you think..

richland007 07-11-2016 10:01 PM

Re: HAL, Amazon Echo/Dot, SMS, and TV Control

that is very cool
What part is taken care by Alexa and whats HAL's?/
I haven't had any interaction with Alexa at all so i wouldn't know what its capable of interface wise.
I really like the avatar part Denise ...how is that interfaced
Denis

BDD43 07-12-2016 07:18 AM

Alexa is Amazon's cloud service. The Echo and Dot are the hardware to connect to it. The Dot is in the video because it has audio out whereas the Echo does not. If you google Amazon Alexa, there are several youtube videos and it can answer a lot of questions, control your home etc.

Denise is NextOS. She is actually a chatbot and has won many awards for the chat capability.

HAL is in the background with Macros set, since Alexa doesn't allow such things.

My program does nothing more than feed (speech to text) whatever comes out of the Dot into a microphone input, which then sends that to the Denise API to read it the text.

Hope that helps.

TimShriver 07-14-2016 01:16 PM

Hi,

Here is the link to the site that has made an interface to HAL and the Echo. http://www.bwssystems.com/

You must be on HALultra or HALpro v6.

They haven’t listed the HAL version yet as they have been sending updates to me to send to our HAL users with Echos. Here is the link for the HAL version

http://www.bwssystems.com/files/ha-b....0.7-hal-h.jar

You have to tell the Bridge about HAL's ip address and the HAL WebService Token.
http://www.automatedliving.com/files...A-Bridge-1.png

Then you add the various HAL Devices discovered by the Bridge that uses the HAL WebService.
http://www.automatedliving.com/files...A-Bridge-2.png

jamarotta 07-14-2016 06:59 PM

I have an Echo, a DOT, and the TAP. I love the DOT the best because of its additional ability to bluetooth out audio vs. the Echo and TAP that takes bluetooth audio in and plays. This is VERY exciting to see HAL starting to integrate with Alexa. I currently also have an Insteon Hub V2 so control some 54 or so insteon devices (include Nest Tstats) with Alexa. So far, its been a competition somewhat between HAL and Alexa, but working together I think results in something greater than each. Tim - Happy to beta test if you need it in this area.

TimShriver 07-14-2016 08:04 PM

Hi Joe,

We've added support for the Vera controller and may add support for the Insteon Hub. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hub does not allow you to do any kind of rules. Even the Alexa doesn't have the ability to do any kind of logic processing such a rules...

We see Alexa as a speech portal. As you know we like to see multiple ways of interacting with the home; microphones, intercoms, telephones, touch screens, remotes, browsers, apps, remotes, sensors, even ip cameras that have 2-way communication capabilities... In any given situation there may be a number of different ways to achieve that interaction with the home, one more convenient or practical than another given the situation.

Cheers,

Tim

BDD43 07-14-2016 09:14 PM

Tim,
You are correct. The Echo/DOT/TAP, nor the HUB have any scheduling, macros, rules, etc. etc. built in. Only Dim, On/Off. This is why I had to create a Alexa Skill to run the macros.

What would be outstanding is if HAL could incorporate a way for HAL to push notifications out through the device. I use it as a bluetooth speaker to do this and software soundswitch to move that output throughout the house depending on where I am at.

Alexa works with the Insteon Hub, so it does discover all of my devices. "Alexa, turn off the kitchen lights", etc. works great. One HUGE thing to keep in mind; Alexa's microphone is NOT bluetooth.

TimShriver 07-15-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDD43 (Post 31586)
One HUGE thing to keep in mind; Alexa's microphone is NOT bluetooth.

Yes, I have an echo for testing with HAL... We also have the Sound Blaster SBX which we have been testing with HAL...

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blue.../dp/B0085YTDBA

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blue.../dp/B0085YTCYS

Tim

jamarotta 07-15-2016 10:35 AM

Hi Tim - Alexa has the ability to put multiple devices into groups and to control groups (similar to the HAL group function). In addition, the HUB2 software has scheduling capability based on time, although Alexa currently does not have access to the scheduling logic and so schedules of devices (or groups) must be done in the Hub application software.

The more broader thought here though is yes, I agree with you, that HAL is one of the best products there is (if not the best) for operating many different types of devices based on many different types of conditions and conditional logic. Alexa does not currently possess much of this. However what Alexa brings to the table is convenience and great ease of use for the everyday person who doesn't want or know how to spend time on automating their home, they just know they want to be able to speak to turn a light on or lower a thermostat and it happens.

The more these two products are able to integrate and work with each other, the closer I think you get to a solution that works for those who want both the convenience and the flexibility to do alot of things.

Having HAL being able to bluetooth out its speech through an echo/dot/tap, or being able to talk to Alexa and cause HAL to perform something that Alexa can't do on its owns are great moves in the right direction and as a user, enthusiast, and part time hobbyist, I'm excited about the integration if we get there!. Joe

TimShriver 07-15-2016 10:47 AM

The problem with both the Insteon hub, Alexa and even Nest is that if your Wifi has a problem or you have an internet issue, you are dead in the water... HAL only uses the internet to periodically validate your license and if it can't get through it give you a grace period.

See this article for some insight to the pain of a novice!

http://mashable.com/2016/07/05/smart.../#skU1ki780aqd

Tim

BDD43 07-15-2016 01:27 PM

Tim,
I agree to some degree that there will be down time when it comes to Alexa and other IoT, but if my electricity is out, I can't do anything either. If Alexa, etc can't provide the convenience, I can still get up and turn on a light manually.

For the time being, I may create a quick link Alexa Skill to HAL. I would have to say, "Alexa tell HAL <<or whatever name I give the skill>> to run <<Macro name>>. I already have a skill for Good Morning and Good Night that fires off a Macro.

Not sure what the HAL Bridge is for that was posted. Perhaps if you didn't have the Insteon HUB2 ?

TimShriver 07-15-2016 01:35 PM

Darrin,

I think you are confused on a number of things i posted... First the issue i mentioned was if the internet goes out as did the article i posted a link to. If you loose internet, you can't talk to Siri or Alexa! Second the if you are using a skill that is the way you have to interact with Alexa. The Bridge that was mentioned is a software emulation of a hardware bridge that was developed by BWS Systems. It allows you to turn on or off HAL devices or execute macros via Alexa with out saying tell HAL...

Call me sometime and I will explain further if you like.

Cheers,

Tim

BDD43 07-15-2016 03:35 PM

I will definitely look at the bridge if it cuts down on the "Alexa tell <<>>" portion to run macros. I really hate that. As far as On/Off and Dim, the hub and Alexa take care of that as I can already say, "Alexa turn off the hall lights". Using my Alexa Skill, I can also say, "Alexa start Good Morning" to run the Good Morning Macro in HAL.

I understood. I was just stating that I would never allow myself to be in a situation where I had to completely rely on the internet (Alexa, or any device, including wireless) to turn on my lights, etc. as the person in the article did. I see these all as a convenience and not a all or nothing.

TimShriver 07-15-2016 07:29 PM

It's amazing to me how many things are tied to the internet... even your Insteon Hub. The smartphone app communicates with Smartlabs' server which communicates to the the hub. We had a user switch all their Nest Stats over to RTC wifi stats so they would not be dependent on both having the internet up and Nest's servers! He eliminated two points of failure that were out of his control.

Tim

BDD43 07-15-2016 10:07 PM

I agree, it is scary, but I look at the internet like electric. I lost electricity once last year and I lost internet once last year. I could buy a generator for electric outage, but not can be done when the internet is out. That is why I make sure to view it only as a 'nice to have'.

TimShriver 07-15-2016 10:52 PM

LOL!

I loss power so often I had my electric company add a device to my electrical meter that allows me to plug my generator in directly when the power goes out... It automatically switches to the utility when power is back.

Also my internet at home is based on the satellite service provider called Exede. So I lose Internet more than power! Any bad rain or snow storm and see ya later! Soooo I cannot be depending on infrastructure for uninterrupted 365 service. The Internet is out 4-5 times a month! I have customers that have either Verizon or Comcast and they too take their service providers names in vain LOL. Depending on the cloud is gamble. And as more and more services become cloud centric you not only run the risk of an outage because of your own local utility but also that of the service providers infrastructure.

http://www.automatedliving.com/files.../img_2396.jpeg

http://www.automatedliving.com/files.../img_6942.jpeg

BDD43 07-16-2016 08:22 AM

Yes indeed. We started looking at natural gas generators. The gas lines are in the ground and also kick on when electricity is lost. The cost is higher, but I wouldn't have to fill a tank every 8 or 10 hours, but of course it is not portable either. I guess between electric and internet, it boils down to where you live and how reliable your service is. The last town we lived in, we never lost electric or internet in over 3 years (their power lines were buried).

TimShriver 07-19-2016 12:56 PM

Hi, Just a quick update... http://www.bwssystems.com/ just released their latest version 3.0 Amazon Echo HA Bridge that supports HAL. You must have version 6.1.11 or above to use their software.

The HA Bridge allows connectivity from the Amazon Echo or other automation controllers to various Home Automation systems, such as the Vera, Harmony Hub, Nest, HAL, Limitless/Mi-Light or most devices that has an accessible http interface. There are features that allow connections to any http/https/TCP/UDP or scripts or programs on the host machine to be able to consolidate home automation tasks.

Regards,

Tim

BDD43 07-19-2016 04:37 PM

Tim,
Does that include running macro's? "Alexa, start movie time"...etc. ?

stregone 10-22-2016 03:21 PM

Tim, I have downloaded the latest version of the HA-Bridge, but am unable to get the menu that you posted a screen shot of. Are there any tips you can give me to get this bridge up and running to the point that you have posted the screenshots? Or can you direct me to some documentation on how to set the bridge up to run with HAL?

TimShriver 10-22-2016 04:38 PM

Sure, Let me put together a PDF as a quick getting started guide. I should have something rough for you either tomorrow or Monday....

Tim

DaveGA 10-23-2016 03:35 PM

I have both the ECHO and the DOT. My wife loves it for music etc...... I have no desire to make this my HA device for my house.....I would however, love to use the voice recognition as a house wide MIC to HAL for the family. The thought of dropping MICs and mixers, etc...... is not attractive, but a VOIP feed direct to HAL for control of systems and feedback from HAL would be awesome.

I know this is simplistic and tougher to implement then I am depicting. I'm patient and reading and seeing what direction this all will go.

Cheers,

dave

TimShriver 10-25-2016 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Please find attached a first draft of how to get started with the HA-Bridge from BWS to use your Amazon Echo or Dot... Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Regards,

Tim

DaveGA 10-25-2016 12:44 PM

Thanks Tim. I'll give it a go this week before I take off again for work!

Cheers,

dave

BDD43 10-26-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGA (Post 31641)
I have both the ECHO and the DOT. My wife loves it for music etc...... I have no desire to make this my HA device for my house.....I would however, love to use the voice recognition as a house wide MIC to HAL for the family. The thought of dropping MICs and mixers, etc...... is not attractive, but a VOIP feed direct to HAL for control of systems and feedback from HAL would be awesome.

I know this is simplistic and tougher to implement then I am depicting. I'm patient and reading and seeing what direction this all will go.

Cheers,

dave

Yes, that is what I was hoping to do as well, but they do not have bluetooth microphones, only speakers. Not sure why amazon went that route, since we could be using it for phone conferences, HAL, et.,etc....maybe they will open it up one day.

Krauzac 11-16-2016 11:26 AM

Tim,
I'm running HA-bridge 3.2.2 right on the same my Win 7 PC just like your helpful PDF document shows.
I'm having a little trouble with the DIM feature as I'm not sure what dropdown to use in the ha -bridge web GUI.
None of them seem to work right, and I'm monitoring the x-10 calls in HAL Monitor.
I see the repeated calls but no lights dim.
If I use my RF remote to dim I see a single "EDI" call to that lamp, and it dims.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Caz

TimShriver 11-16-2016 12:53 PM

Let me try and add an X10 lamp module to a system and configure in the bridge software. I'll get back to you :-)

TimShriver 11-17-2016 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krauzac (Post 31668)
I'm having a little trouble with the DIM feature as I'm not sure what dropdown to use in the ha -bridge web GUI.
None of them seem to work right, and I'm monitoring the x-10 calls in HAL Monitor.
I see the repeated calls but no lights dim.

It looks like the Bridge GUI is not generating the proper Dim command for our web service. I'm not sure how to get the percent as a variable into the Dim URL so I hard coded mine for 60%. See the attached screen capture. I also included the HALws documentation. We may need to add a web service call for dimming that just takes the current setting down by X as opposed to setting it to a value if we cannot get the value from the echo to populate into the dim url. I'll check with the team that built the Bridge software.

Tim

Krauzac 11-18-2016 08:33 AM

Tim -
Thank you so much!

BDD43 12-05-2016 01:45 PM

Tim, I'm trying to wrap my head around the HA-Bridge, but not sure what it can do for me since the Alexa app can already see my insteon devices. I assume this is for X-10?

Also, I'm looking at writing code to open HAL more for myself: Alexa, start HAL....HAL responds, "How may I help you?" but through the Echo.
The conversation could then take place as if I were talking to HAL with HAL using the audio output of the Echo as a bluetooth speaker. SO, in essence, I would only have to translate what I say from my skill to HAL.

TimShriver 12-05-2016 02:16 PM

I'm not sure i understand what you mean by "I assume this is for X-10?" the interface will control any light in HAL... or macro, group, scene...
I haven't tried pairing the Echo with HAL using Bluetooth. Our new servers have built in Bluetooth. I am curious if the microphone array will be accessible via the Bluetooth or if they only exposed the speakers for streaming music.

Tim

TimShriver 12-05-2016 02:26 PM

BDD43 12-05-2016 08:52 PM

Tim,
I guess what I'm confused about. Can I say, "Alexa run ...,macro..." ? or "Alexa run Movie Time" ? and it work with HAL to run those setup in HAL? If so, then GREAT. If it only turns on/off/dims then Alexa already does that with Insteon devices.

Yes, the main complaint I have with the Echo is they do not allow it to be a bluetooth microphone...only a bluetooth speaker. I have an Echo and two Dots throughout the house and created several skills.
One being: "Alexa start goodnight"....it runs my skill which actually then runs a HAL Macro. (Turns off all the lights but one, turns down the TV volume, then turns it off, turns on the security system in 5 minutes, turns on the light in the bedroom)...

Another reason for using the bluetooth speaker is to have HAL speak notifications (another thing the Echo does not do) through the Echo or Dots.

I also have a program called just remote phone that connects to my cell phone. I wrote an add-on for it. So, when I get a text message, it reads it over my speaker: "You have a new message from Zachary. Do you still need my help in the yard?" I have another skill called reply: "Alexa tell reply, Yes I still need your help." It then sends a text message back to him. No need to find my phone.

I have a lot of ideas, just trying to piece them all together to integrate everything.

TimShriver 12-05-2016 09:26 PM

Yes, I have Macros, Groups, Scenes... all in the Bridge working with HAL

BDD43 12-06-2016 06:37 AM

How to you initiate them with Alexa?

TimShriver 12-13-2016 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a revised HAL BWS Setup Guide for Alexa... This addresses using the Dim Control Type.

Tim

BDD43 12-14-2016 10:27 AM

Tim,

How do you run the macros and scenes using the Echo/Alexa ?

Mike 12-14-2016 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an updated copy of the HAL/Alexa (amazon Echo) documentation.

-Mike

BDD43 12-19-2016 01:36 PM

How do you use it with Alexa?? "Alexa start {macro name}"....??

TimShriver 12-19-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDD43 (Post 31701)
How do you use it with Alexa?? "Alexa start {macro name}"....??

No, you would say "Turn {Macro Name} on"