View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
jamarotta
Advanced Member II

Default Re: HAL, Amazon Echo/Dot, SMS, and TV Control

Hi Tim - Alexa has the ability to put multiple devices into groups and to control groups (similar to the HAL group function). In addition, the HUB2 software has scheduling capability based on time, although Alexa currently does not have access to the scheduling logic and so schedules of devices (or groups) must be done in the Hub application software.

The more broader thought here though is yes, I agree with you, that HAL is one of the best products there is (if not the best) for operating many different types of devices based on many different types of conditions and conditional logic. Alexa does not currently possess much of this. However what Alexa brings to the table is convenience and great ease of use for the everyday person who doesn't want or know how to spend time on automating their home, they just know they want to be able to speak to turn a light on or lower a thermostat and it happens.

The more these two products are able to integrate and work with each other, the closer I think you get to a solution that works for those who want both the convenience and the flexibility to do alot of things.

Having HAL being able to bluetooth out its speech through an echo/dot/tap, or being able to talk to Alexa and cause HAL to perform something that Alexa can't do on its owns are great moves in the right direction and as a user, enthusiast, and part time hobbyist, I'm excited about the integration if we get there!. Joe
jamarotta is offline   Reply With Quote