Message Board

General Questions and Discussions This conference is for general questions and discussions not related to one of the other conferences in this WebBoard.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
carlh6902

Default HALultra Limitations

In looking over the new website, I see that HALultra is listed as supporting only 50 sensors and 100 rules. I can't believe that I haven't exceeded these values in the past (with HAL2000 ver 5), but maybe not. So my question is, has anybody else ever ran into either of these limitations? If this is true, this definitely changes my plans for upgrading to version 6, since I'd like to set up sensors for security zones, Insteon keypadlinc buttons, and X-10 palm-pad buttons, and can easily count 50 sensors without even really trying. Then too, the flags and timers also seem to count as sensors, so that makes it even worse. What am I missing?

Carl
Old 01-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
TimShriver
Administrator

Default Re: HALultra Limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlh6902 View Post
What am I missing?
Hi Carl,

You and I had already had a discussion about this via Email. To clarify for others that may be following this thread... the complete list of capabilities can be found here: http://www.automatedliving.com/Products_Features.aspx

As I mentioned to you in emails, If you should want more than 50 sensors, you will need to consider upgrading to pro. Also Flags, Variables and Timers do not count towards the Sensor limitation.

Regards,

Tim
Old 01-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
carlh6902

Tim-

The reason I posted this was an attempt to "calibrate" my level of concern on the posted limitations. If others are using ultra without ever hitting these limits, then I likely won't have any issues either, and my concern is just paranoia and I need to chill out. If on the other hand, others run into these limits occasionally, I should expect to do so as well, and need to budget for an eventual expansion. I had never heard of anybody ever running into limitations, so it surprised me to see it posted. I was not aware that there were any practical limitations.

As far as the variable, flags, and timers not counting, is that already in the code, or will that be in a future build?

I'm in process of planning substantial upgrades to the home-automation system in the coming year or two and I think I may start saving pennies for the next HAL upgrade, as part of this.

Carl
Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
TimShriver
Administrator

Hi Carl,

I learned last week that Timers, Variables and Flags have never counted as sensors. So yes it has and is in the code

Tim
Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
carlh6902

When I first learned of these limitations, I considered jumping ship and leaving HAL. I did some research, assuming Homeseer is where I would end up, but that didn't happen. I've heard from more than a few that HS3 is still half-baked and buggy, and despite a decade of "working on it", they still do not have HAI Omni support working. Kudos to Home Automated Living, for making this work, and work well. It's easy to take for granted all of the effort that's been put into development of this product.

Carl
Old 01-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
TimShriver
Administrator

Smile Re: HALultra Limitations

Thank you Carl.

Also... HAL version 6 supports the HAI HiFi and HiFi2 Whole House Audio interface in HALpro, HALhms and HALecs...

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Secti...?section=61364

Regards,

Tim