Message Board

X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Insteon This forum is for topics related to X10/Z-Wave/UPB/Insteon configuration with HAL.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
djewell

Unhappy x10 message flood

Hi wondering if anyone has any advice on this. I am getting a flood of signal A9 Aoff commands and because of it I am not getting any signal through and I am rendered helpless right now when using hal. I have gone around and shut down all the switches and unplugged all the modules I have but am still being flooded.
djewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
TimShriver
Administrator

Default Re: x10 message flood

Hi David,

This is pretty radical, but I would turn off all the breakers except for the one that your X-10 power line interface is on. If the A9 stops, start turning on breakers until it starts. Then unplug whatever may be on the circuit you just turned on that could be causing noise. It doesn't have to be an x-10 device to be generating noise that is interpreted as an x-10 signal.

If you turn off all the breakers except the one you have your x-10 PLM on and still have the A9, then move your X-10 PLM to another circuit, and turn off the breaker that you originally had the X-10 PLM on. if the problem follows you, try another x-10 PLM.

Please let us know what you discover.

Best Regards,

Tim
Old 03-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
djewell

Thumbs up Re: x10 message flood

Thanks Tim, I found the offending section of my house and it looks like a cooked x-10 switch. Have that part of the house just shut off right now until I can replace the switch. I can't even describe how hellish life is without HAL. Its been part of my life for far too long now.

Dave
Old 03-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
TimShriver
Administrator

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you were able to isolate the problem!

It is amazing how easy it is to become dependent on the things that HAL does... and then when you are down those things are highlighted

Tim
Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
djewell

Well the mystery continues, I have removed all x10 switches from the circuit and when I turn it back on I am still getting a9 messages. Could this be noise somehow being interpreted as an x10 signal? It's just strange that it just started happening and there are no x10 devices on the circuit.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
TimShriver
Administrator

As I mentioned before... it doesn't take an X-10 device to create what is interpreted as an x-10 signal. The compressor from an old refrigerator, an old TV or computer monitor, an old well or pool pump...

That's why you need to turn off all of the circuit breakers except one and go from there...