Message Board

HVAC (Thermostats) This conference is for topics related to HAL's HVAC features and the third-party HVAC controllers that can be used with HAL.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #21
dtomcat
Advanced Member III

Default Re: Nest

Update 2:
Nest still seems to be update on HAL... downfall I found is that HA-Bridge does not work nice with HAL anymore. worked perfect (zero flaws) on 6.1.37... on 6.1.39 I'm lucky if it works once with each reboot. when "testing" it inside the HA-Bridge... it works great. Alexa can find the devices find... but when I tell her to turn on/off something... she thinks about it for a bit... then says "OK"... but nothing ever happens. Shouldn't have messed with something running perfectly!!!! oh well... Can I get a link to .37 so I can hopefully go back to what I had? Thanks

-Rob
HAL DMC
Tell Me v2.7.0
dtomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #22
dtomcat
Advanced Member III

Update 3

Moved HA-Bridge to my Raspberry Pi. It will be its only Job! Works perfect again. Nest still updating correctly!
HAL DMC
Tell Me v2.7.0
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #23
TimShriver
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomcat View Post
Update 2:
Nest still seems to be update on HAL... downfall I found is that HA-Bridge does not work nice with HAL anymore. worked perfect (zero flaws) on 6.1.37... on 6.1.39 I'm lucky if it works once with each reboot. when "testing" it inside the HA-Bridge... it works great. Alexa can find the devices find... but when I tell her to turn on/off something... she thinks about it for a bit... then says "OK"... but nothing ever happens. Shouldn't have messed with something running perfectly!!!! oh well... Can I get a link to .37 so I can hopefully go back to what I had? Thanks
-Rob
Hi Rob,

Nothing changed in the HALws which is what the HA-Bridge uses. There are a number of users on 6.1.39 using the bridge with no issues... so I'm not sure what the problem might be. If you open the HA-Bridge UI, you can manually execute the commands with the test button. if they fire then the Bridge to HAL works and it is something from Alexa to the Bridge...

Tim
Old 01-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #24
TimShriver
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomcat View Post
Update 3

Moved HA-Bridge to my Raspberry Pi. It will be its only Job! Works perfect again. Nest still updating correctly!
I'd be curious if somehow your HA-Bridge issue is XP related... Strange that you had to also do the install with compatibility mode. Did you try a custom install?

Tim
Old 01-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #25
dtomcat
Advanced Member III

Sorry to original poster (kind of side tracked this post)...

Tim,
I'm running windows 7 sp1. not sure what happened... but confirmed that firewall was off. HA-Bridge to HAL seemed fine. I could find devices and test them in HA-Bridge fine. But Alexa to Bridge... I could see all devices and it discovered them... but when telling Alexa to turn something on, it was followed by 15-20 pause and she'd say "OK"... but nothing ever happened... usually I may get on device turn on/off after reboot everything. before upgrading HAL... everything ran smooth.. only thing that changed was upgrading HAL... the weird thing as noted was... I had to use compatibility mode... I reran the install after upgrading to .39 (this time I took away comp mode) and it ran fine. So not sure when changed but HA-Bridge doesn't like HAL PC anymore. I had an old Raspberry Pi (original model B) that was collecting dust... So I loaded up a stripped down headless version of Linux (Raspbian Jessie lite) and loaded java and HA-Bridge. Runs awesome and all is friendly again in the automation world

-Rob
HAL DMC
Tell Me v2.7.0

Last edited by dtomcat; 01-02-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #26
dtomcat
Advanced Member III

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimShriver View Post
I'd be curious if somehow your HA-Bridge issue is XP related... Strange that you had to also do the install with compatibility mode. Did you try a custom install?

Tim

I did try custom and only selected program update and it also gave the same "oleaut32.dll" error.
HAL DMC
Tell Me v2.7.0
Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #27
DadGoneMad
Advanced Member

I had the same problem when I upgraded to v.39. I first thought it was some sort of permissions issue but could never resolve it. Instead what I did was log on with a (Win10) local account (instead of my admin account), then ran the installation (run with admin rights) and did not receive any oleaut32.dll error during installation. I do however seem to have some sort of issue that's surfaced where my HALUltra crashes repeatedly for about 10-12 times after starting. Then, after going through several WatchDog automatic restarts the crashing stops and it runs just fine. I have been trying to troubleshoot what the problem might be, the only error I see in WatchDog is "Alive Registry not set" or something along those lines. I will give tech support a call if I can ever work from home and able to be there for someone to help me determine root cause here. For Christmas I got an Amazon Echo and Dot, I configured the HA Bridge with very little issues at all. Seems to run great, am still learning how to create commands, but overall I like it a lot!
DadGoneMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
TimShriver
Administrator

Please do contact support... I'm sure they'll be able to help resolve your problem.

If the Alive Registry option in WatchDog is enabled it basically is one of the many ways WD checks to make sure HAL Server is responsive. HAL Server writes a 1 to a particular Registry Entry, WD checks to make sure that the entry has be updated. If it has, WD then resets it to 0 and the process checks again after so many seconds. If the Alive Registry is not updated after 2 or 3 passes, WD will then begin the designated recovery option.

It sounds like you have something hanging HAL. To discover the culprit, you could disable a couple of things in System Settings, liek your Security, Lighting, Telephone... start HAL and if all is fine, start re-enabling items one by one to identify what is causing the problem.

Tim
Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #29
dtomcat
Advanced Member III

I've had the WD alive thing the first time I booted into .39... have not had any cases since it rebooted itself. and it only happened after the first boot into .39 (after the troubleshooting noted above. Happened overnight that first night. and not since. nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

-Rob
HAL DMC
Tell Me v2.7.0
Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #30
TimShriver
Administrator

Sure sounds like the install did not go correctly...